Venkaiah Naidu is a veteran politician and has been a minister in the Narendra Modi government and the NDA government headed by Atal Bihari Vajpayee
New Delhi: M Venkaiah Naidu, 68, was picked today as the BJP’s candidate for Vice President — a post he is almost certain to occupy. Like NDA’s Presidential candidate Ram Nath Kovind, Mr Naidu comes from a humble background. In a tweet, Prime Minister Narendra Modi said, “A farmer’s son, M VenkaiahNaidu Garu brings years of experience in public life and is admired across the political spectrum”. But while Governor Kovind is almost a political unknown, Mr Naidu – a two-time Union minister and four-time Rajya Sabha member – enjoys cordial relations with colleagues across party lines. He is known to be jovial, has a talent for acronyms and is a good orator.
Here are 10 facts about Venkaiah Naidu, the NDA candidate for Vice President
- Venkaiah Naidu will be contesting against former Governor and Mahatma Gandhi’s grandson Gopalkrishna Gandhi, the opposition candidate. He will file his nomination today.
- If elected, he would be the third vice-president from Andhra Pradesh. The list includes Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan and VV Giri, both of whom later became President.
- He was elected to the Rajya Sabha thrice from Karnataka and once from Rajasthan.
- The veteran leader served as the BJP national president from July 2002 to October 2004. He quit the post after the party’s defeat in the 2004 Lok Sabha elections.
- Mr Naidu served as the Rural Development Minister in the NDA government headed by Atal Bihari Vajpayee.
- In PM Narendra Modi’s government, he held the portfolios of Parliamentary Affairs, Information and Broadcasting and Urban Development.
- As the Urban Development minister, he started several urban missions, including the Smart City Mission, Atal Mission, Swachh Bharat Mission and Housing for All. He was also instrumental in launching the ‘Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana’ as the rural development minister.
- Though Mr Naidu is from the South, he learnt Hindi and addressed many rallies in north India. He is an enthusiastic proponent of Hindi as the national language.
- Coming from an agricultural family of Andhra Pradesh’s Nellore district, Mr Naidu started his political career in 1973 as a student leader and later joined the Jan Sangh.
- He was elected twice to the Andhra Pradesh Legislative Assembly.
Source by ndtv….Share: